Monday, October 17, 2011

Fighting Back

What can I, as a college student, do to help combat slavery? 

Honestly, I think the best thing to do is stop labeling yourselves and others. I am a poor college student, they are poor slaves.  Instead, ask: What can I, as a human being, do to help stop the enslavement of others?

I'm not asking people to put on boxing gloves and start swinging. I'm not even asking you to go into sketchy neighborhoods and steal skantily clad women and girls off the streets (because that's creepy).  There's no need to turn into some angry Dad (*cough cough* TAKEN) and rush around the world killing people (that's not your job).  I just want people to start THINKING.  And, as the majority of my readers are college students, I don't think that would be terribly challenging.

I'm just tired of everyone's seemingly apathetic attitude. People claim to be "passionate" about certain issues, but they do not actively demonstrate this passion. I don't know about my readers, but I spend an inappropriately large amount of time on the internet.  I hate the strange consuming power that the internet has over me, and I'm desperately trying to cut back.  While wasting time on the internet, like many of my fellow students are prone to do, I have found that a lot of people can complain, but few people do anything about problems in this world that bother them.

For that reason, I continued my internet surfing with a new purpose in mind, to find ways to fight back against sex trafficking.  While searching, I came across this website...

http://www.gracehavenhouse.org/how-to-help/24-fight-human-trafficking/

To briefly sum up this article, you can fight slavery, and demonstrate your passion for an issue by:

1. Educating Yourself
2. Educating Others
3. Volunteering with Organizations
4. Refusing to buy products made by the hands of forced laborers
5. Praying

And here is my weekend in clothes....



Day 14:  Friday night I went to a dance show (hence the pose) and then had a fun night with friends.  Thanks again to Maggie for the tights.


Day 15: Homecoming Game Day!!!  The dress is mostly hidden under the jersey, but you can see it peeking out underneath.  I had oodles of fun and was busy ALL day.  I met up with several friends participating in "One Dress" and got some great pictures (to be posted later).


Day 16: This is how I spent my Sunday.  I am completely ashamed of my lazy attitude.  Absolutely nothing was accomplished. 

No comments:

Post a Comment